Monday, January 23, 2012

Calorie Counting

Hi everyone! I thought I'd chime in with some praise and motivation as we are getting close to the one month mark. I love being around people that are motivated to be healthy. It keeps me excited about being healthy. However, have you started to notice the numbers of people at the gym are getting smaller and smaller? I hope we wont' see that happen in our group here! I love seeing the results of all your hard work and discipline. There are some serious losers in this group! 

I've come to a realization recently. I can't stand the idea of dieting. I think the crux of my disdain that they rarely lead to real, permanent change. It seems to me that a diet that doesn't result in a lifestyle change that can be sustained indefinitely is a cruel way to punish ourselves emotionally. 

With that idea in mind it shouldn't be a surprise then that I'm a lazy person by nature. I prefer to take the simplest route to a conclusion. This inherent laziness led me to an experiment to find the simplest method to lose weight. I know that weight loss really boils down to the simple equation of (calories in - calories out). So I tried to find the most simple method of achieving a calorie deficit each day.

Calorie counting is the simple solution I'm testing out right now. Simply tracking the calories I take in with no change to what I'm eating, how often I'm eating and no change to my workout routine. The process takes me an extra 5 to 10 minutes each day and I can get it done while waiting in a line, riding in a car or while pondering the meaning of life on the toilet. The result has been kind of a surprise to me. I'm losing weight! I think the difference maker is that I think about what I'm eating more often than I did before. This makes it easier to refuse the second helping of lasagna or cake. I also find it easier to eat an apple or broccoli for a snack instead of a Zinger because I know the fruit will fill me up on fewer calories. I think I just may have found my simple solution.

So who's counting calories as part of their routine? Is that all you are doing? Is anyone losing weight without an exercise routine? I'd love to know what is working for everyone and how you are implementing it. Especially from our allstars like Amy, Diana, Larry and Lindsay who are posting some amazing numbers. Keep up the good work everyone! I love that we are all doing this together and seeing real success!

If you are interested this is the website I'm using. They also have an app for your phone.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've told everyone this, but I am using "myfitnesspal.com" to track my eating. It is a simple way to keep a food diary. It's working for me because I feel accountable to myself. I truly think about what I am eating. Just like Kyle, feeling this accountability to my own calorie intake makes it simple to just say "no" to a hamburger or to a larger than needed portion of food. I am not on any special diet, I am simply eating the way I always should but haven't been, and I am exercising. This past week was the first week so far that I have let myself eat too many little extras (it was stress eating) and I only exercized one day. I gained one pound. I am not too upset with myself--it only proved to me that regular exercise and good eating equals results. I am now more determined to log all my eating (esp. calories) and to exercise this week with a vengence. Kyle, I think you got it figured out. I shall conquer the scale this week!
    I'd love to hear from others, too!

    ReplyDelete